A member of the Therapeutic Programs team upholding George Derby Centre’s Vision, Mission, and established policies and procedures, committing to professional and facility codes of ethics and functions within the regulations, standards and guidelines governing residential care.
Under the supervision of the Manager, Therapeutic Programs, carries out recreation/activity programs for residents; participates in the planning, organizing, developing and evaluation of recreation programs for residents; implements and adapts designed programs for group or individual resident participation.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Carries out new and established resident recreation/activity programs as directed by performing such duties as: setting up and organizing furnishings and equipment; ensuring residents are gathered in a timely fashion for programs, instruct residents in related activities as required.
2. Ensures established program objectives for the resident are met by performing activities such as: reviewing leisure assessments forms on all residents in conjunction with program description objectives; reporting observations to multidisciplinary team to aid in evaluation and care planning, and documenting observations on the care records and care plan as indicated.
3. Actively promotes a culture of resident safety by adhering to established safety policies, standards and procedures including emergency procedures.
4. Gathers residents together for programs, which can include portering to and from programs. Instructs residents in related activity techniques and orientates volunteers to assist in recreation programs as required.
5. Supports Therapeutic Programs Manager in resident’s assessment upon admission and provides input by completing a leisure assessment form.
6. Encourages residents to participate in daily programs and in the planning and implementation of their own programs. Assists residents with re-education in leisure activities and activities of daily living such as eating and grooming.
7. Completes a daily statistics for programs conducted and other related paperwork and charting. Requests supplies and equipment as required and submits requests to the Manager for approval.
8. Accompany residents on outings to community facilities and during social activities. Operates the Centre bus as required to transport residents to and from outings. Assists residents in embarking and disembarking.
9. Performs a variety of routine inspection/maintenance duties on the Centre bus such as: cleaning interior and exterior following each outing, checking belts, lights and tires and maintaining fluid levels as required. Recommends vehicle and or equipment for repairs as required.
10. Reports hazards, unusual occurrences, accidents and unsafe situations to immediate supervisor or designate.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Demonstrates a commitment to communicating, improving and adhering to safety policies in the work environment.
2. Reports all incidents and near misses. Reports are to be made in writing.
3. Report all concerns related to resident behaviours; even if no incident/injury occurs. Reports are to be made in writing.
4. Follow safe work procedures and act safely in the workplace at all times.
5. Actively participate in all training provided to you for your safety.
Education, Training and Experience
· Grade 12, completion of a recognized therapeutic recreation program plus two years’ recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
· Valid Class 4 Vehicle License (unrestricted)
· First Aid / CPR Certification
· Food Safe
· Serving it Right
Skills and Abilities
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Ability to deal with others effectively
· Ability to teach
· Ability to organize work
· Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
· Ability to operate related equipment
This position is a permanent full time vacancy with a Friday-Tuesday schedule. Wednesdays and Thursdays are the days off.
Considerable standing and walking. Exposure to resident elements through regular resident contact. Regular stress in dealing with resident care needs and time pressure. Considerable concentration required during preparation and administration of program/activity. Please note this is an HEU role.
Salary: $25.83 per hour
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent, Part-time, Casual
- Name: Mallory Yeager
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Expiry: 31/12/2021