Location: Nanaimo Seniors Village
Position: Full Time Permanent
Salary Range: CA$23.4000 To 25.7500 Hourly
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Reporting to the Therapeutic Recreation Manager, the Recreation Therapist (Diploma) assesses, develops and implements person centered therapeutic recreation outcomes/programs to meet Individual physical, social, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and cultural needs, interests and abilities. Working with an interdisciplinary team to provide goal orientated outcomes and providing assistance for program promotion and evaluation.
1. Under direction of Manager, performs assessment of resident leisure functioning, strengths and limitations upon admission and as required.
2. Develops and implements person centered approaches/strategies for individual and group recreation and leisure programs according practice based evidence and current trends.
3. Assists Manager in completion of monthly calendars to reflect all domains and function levels to reflect resident’s needs, interests and abilities.
4. Assists to evaluate programs/protocols as required to meet care plan/resident goals/needs and operational requirements.
5. Assists with admission and orientation of new residents and tenants.
6. Reports and documents resident progress, function and program participation.
7. Collaborates with interdisciplinary team, resident and family to prepare for pre/post resident care conferences. Attends as required.
8. Provides quarterly and annual assessments based on standards of practice and requirements of MDS-RAI and care planning timeframes.
9. Motivates and encourages resident participation through initiatives such as Resident Council to ensure resident needs and rights are being maintained and heard.
10. Assists Manager with student and volunteer placements, orientation and evaluation when required.
11.Actively participates in site, corporate CQI’s initiatives, committees and education in services when required.
12. Follows relevant protocol for the safe and clean operation and storage/inventory of recreation/leisure equipment and resource materials. Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to Manager.
13. Develops and maintains relationships and promotes Recreation Therapy with external partnerships and agencies to enhance resident programming.
14. Performs other related duties as required/assigned to meet operational needs of the organization.
1. Therapeutic Recreation Diploma from an accredited University or recognized College.
2. Two year related experience in Long Term Care setting preferred.
3. Experience programming for Alzheimer Disease and related Dementia’s is an asset.
4. Member or eligibility for BCTRA (British Columbia Therapeutic Recreation Association)
5. Food Safe Level 1; Basic First Aid/CPR required.
6. All successful applicants must pass the vulnerable sector Criminal Record Check applicable to Provincial guidelines.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts and evidence based practice of Therapeutic Recreation, Leisure and current trends in long term care setting.
2. Effective, innovative, passionate facilitator and leader.
3. Ability to communicate effectively with interdisciplinary team, residents and family.
4. Possess excellent time management and organizational skills.
5. Goal and detailed orientated with a compassionate work ethic.
6. Strong oral and written English communication skills.
7. Proficient with MS word, publisher, excel, power point and client care software, eg. Point Click Care, Activity Pro, MDS-RAI.
- Name: Retirement Concepts Recruitment
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Expiry: 31/12/2021