1 Temporary Full Time; 1 Regular Part Time; 1 Regular Full Time
POSTING OPEN DATE: July 16, 2021
POSTING CLOSE DATE: July 27, 2021
NO. OF VACANCIES: 1 x TFT; 1 x RPT; 1 x RFT
SALARY: $26.89 – $31.60 per hour (2020 rates)
DEPARTMENT: Parks, Recreation, Culture and Facilities
Nature of Position:
This is recreational work involved in assisting a superior in the development and implementation of specified social, cultural and recreational programs and activities in an assigned recreational facility or area. The work also involves directing programs; promoting interest and encouraging participation in program activities, providing guidance and advising facility users on specified activities and subjects, and assisting in directing the work of contract instructors and volunteers. The incumbent assumes responsibility for the operation and security of the facility on assigned shifts. Duties are performed within established program guidelines but considerable independent judgement and action is exercised with respect to matters of a routine nature while difficult or unusual problems are referred to a superior who evaluates work performance in terms of the effectiveness and quality of programs and services offered, and conformance with established policies and procedures.
• Sound knowledge of the social, cultural and recreational needs and interests of the area served.
• Sound knowledge of the principles, practices and objectives of community recreation programs.
• Working knowledge of the fundamentals of program leadership and recreational instruction.
• Ability to assist in the planning, development, and coordination of programs, services and activities and provide leadership and instruction on such programs and activities.
• Ability to assume responsibility for the operation and security of the facility on an assigned shift.
• Ability to assist in selecting, training and directing the work of contract instructors and volunteers.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
• Ability to prepare and maintain correspondence, records, reports, publicity and promotional material.
• Skill in the operation of a variety of equipment used in the programs, and in the operation of an oxygen ventilator.
• Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
• St. John’s First Aid Certificate or equivalent.
Desirable Training and Experience:
Completion of a two-year program in Recreation at a recognized Community College and some related community recreation experience; CPR Certificate Level A is desirable; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
As these positions are based at our 50+ population focused centres, education and/or training in gerontology plus extensive experience working with seniors is an asset. The ideal candidate for the RPT position will have completed post-secondary education in Therapeutic Recreation and possess relevant work experience exhibiting an understanding of the recreational interests of seniors, Individuals who have experienced a stroke and special populations. The RPT position is based on 9 hours per week.
Conditions of Employment:
• A PROBATIONARY PERIOD
• PARTICIPATION IN THE MUNICIPAL PENSION PLAN
• UNION MEMBERSHIP IN C.U.P.E. LOCAL 386
• GROUP LIFE INSURANCE
• ABILITY TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN A POLICE INFORMATION CHECK
• DRIVERS ABSTRACT
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Name: Lesley Joyce
- Email: Ljoyce@coquitlam.ca
- Expiry: 27/07/2021